Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Best Sugar Cookies EVER!


I promised I'd share my super sugar cookie recipe and here it is! These taste just like the yummy ones from Safeway. You know the ones I'm talking about. Thick, soft, chewy, and with that fantastic frosting! Now you can make your own at home and not spend $4.99 a dozen.

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
1 egg lightly beaten
3 Tbsp cream (I've used both whole milk and coffee creamer as substitutes with no problem)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Over large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in lightly beaten egg, cream, and vanilla. Blend well and roll out to desired thickness. I like mine thick so I roll them out to about half an inch.

After you roll out your beautifully non-sticky dough you can use your chosen cookie cutters because unlike all the other sugar recipes I've tried these actually retain their shape. Such a far cry from last Christmas's amoeba-like blobs that originally started out as stars and angels. For this batch I tried to talk Grace into selecting fall leaves but she insisted on trying out the new princess crown cookie cutter I found in Ashland last summer. So princess crowns it is. If you know my daughter I'm sure you're not surprised.

Look at that beautiful cookie. Yum. After baking the cookies about 6-8 minutes (or 10-12 if you roll them thick like me) and letting them cool I had the kids help me decorate them. I cheated this time and used some Betty Crocker frosting in a can because I scored a bunch for practically free a few weeks ago. This is the first time I've bought it and this variety is cherry and tastes okay. I took on the frosting job and let the kids take turns decorating the cookies with sprinkles. Half the cookies have purple sprinkles because that was what Ethan chose every time. The boy likes purple.

Afterwards we all had a cookie. Well, the kids split one because they were pretty big and they'd already had a piece of candy after dinner. We're still working on Halloween candy and probably will be until after Christmas. Notice how Grace is very clean eating her cookie. She's my clean eater. She's also wearing a puple silk cape. They are princess cookies after all!

And here's Ethan. He's a little messier. I guess that goes with the territory when you're a little boy. He managed to wipe pink frosting all over the tablecloth as well. What you can't tell from this photo is that he's wearing underwear and no pants. He found the stash of underwear I have saved for him and pleaded to wear them. So we're attempting Potty Training Round One. He's pretty gung ho about wearing the underwear but hasn't figured out the potty quite yet. At least the desire is there so that's something to work with. I'm not pushing him real hard at this point because he's still pretty young. I'm definitely excited for the day Ethan is done with diapers, we have a No More Diapers party planned and everything!

5 comments:

Aly sun said...

I will be trying this recipe. I LOVE those Safeway sugar cookies, but can never justify buying them. Thank you for sharing.

Lindsay said...

I finally found time to come back to your blog to copy this recipe. Sugar cookies are a BIG weakness of mine. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Aly sun said...

Okay, I really tried to follow the recipe exactly, but then I came to the cream/creamer part. I only had chocolate caramel creamer or milk. I went the chocolate route which made an odd colored dough. I then added 1/4 cup cocoa powder. I was worried the cookies would look burnt instead of chocolaty, so I added crushed candy canes to the top before baking. THEY ARE SO YUMMY! Next time I'll follow the recipe, but this makes a very good variation.

AnickH said...

your cookies look so pretty thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

This is my first attempt at sugar cookies. Did you let the dough chill before rolling out? If so, for how long?