Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Dress Loving Girl

Grace loves to wear dresses. She's worn a dress almost every day for a year and a half, only deigning to wear jeans when I insist on such occasions as: camping, going to the pumpkin patch, picking out a Christmas tree, and that's pretty much it. Last year the dress obsession caught me by surprise and I quickly got tired of the five knit dresses she wore in rotation. I was also annoyed that 75% of her closet didn't get worn because she wanted nothing to do with pants. This year I was prepared and I bought one pair of jeans and a multitude of dresses. Lots of dresses. Since this was the first year Grace was entering into preschool I made sure to buy plenty of cheap knit dresses that would survive paint/glue/markers and anything else preschool could throw at us. As it turns out it didn't really matter because Grace is pretty careful and has only come home with something on her dress twice this year.

I shop consignment stores pretty often. While I was in Portland a few weeks ago I decided to stop by a consignment store that I somehow found on Twitter called Mama's and Papa's. Everything was 50% off since they were cleaning out their winter stuff. I didn't find a thing for Ethan but I did find a nice Hanna Andersson coat that will fit Grace next year and this dress. Usually I'm not one for animal prints which is why I passed by it at first. Then I noticed the ruffles. And the bows. I finally pulled it off the rack and Grace took one look at it and immediately wanted to try it on. She was sold hook, line, and sinker and didn't want to take it off. I looked at the tag and decided that for $4 she could have it. The very kind store owner let her wear it out of the store and we did an impromptu photo shoot around the block.

I'm glad I got the dress for her because it's become a favorite. It fits her really well and she obviously loves to wear it! These dancing photos were taken yesterday afternoon when we were taking advantage of the winter sunshine. She wanted me to take pictures of her in her pretty dress. She also wanted to dance. I'd say I killed two birds with one stone.

0 comments: