Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Learning Lesson at Safeway

This afternoon I took Grace out with me to run errands while Ethan napped at home (David was working from home today), ending with a quick grocery run at Safeway. We cruised through the store with no sounds of bickering coming from the plastic car in front of the cart and picked up the items we needed before heading to the wide open check out line. Grocery shopping is rarely so easy. As we left the store and entered the parking lot I caught sight of something in Grace's arms that shouldn't be there. It was one of those plastic baby bottles filled with candy. You know the ones placed just eye level for small kids to see and then plead with their irritated mother to buy. I instantly turned the cart around and stopped it just inside the store to talk to her about it. I told her that taking the candy was stealing and that was NOT acceptable in any way, shape, or form. I then made her march the candy back to our cashier and apologize. When we got home she had to tell Daddy what she did and we had a talk about the importance of Not Stealing. The point definitely got made and I really doubt we have this issue pop up again with Grace. She's the type who hates to disappoint her Daddy and Mommy and was very upset that she had made such a serious mistake.

Camping photos and blog to come at some point. When I have time. Probably in 9-10 years.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Awe man - poor kiddo. Glad she learned it now though! I was just reading another blog where this happened and the mommy marched the kid back inside after telling him the police could put him in jail for stealing - and who did they run into first? Target security guard - to a 4 year old - appeared as "official" as the police - so that poor kid was terrified.

Aly sun said...

This has happened to us before too at Victoria Secret of all places. My daughter took about 3 or 4 lip glosses. I went back to the store, prepared for the "I'm sorry I took these" scene, but there was a line of about 10 people waiting and no available associates, so I just put them back. No one noticed. Thankfully it hasn't happened again after a stern talk.