Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Playing with Logos Again

Instead of being productive this afternoon I spent my time playing with a new logo for my photography business. I would like to incorporate some sort of design into my logo, not just a font. After doing a lot of web surfing to look at other logos to get some inspiration I came up with this one. Still not 100% sure I like it but it took me forever to make the dang flowers so I may use it anyways! I like a lot of fonts, but finding one with a "k" I like is difficult and I like this one. So what do you all think? Stick with the purple/brown one that I created a few months ago, keep working with this one, or start from scratch?

I want the logo I eventually stick with to meet these qualifications:
  • Looks professional
  • Compliments my design style ("modern, fun, fresh")
  • Works well to advertise a variety of photography genres (families, kids, weddings, high school seniors, etc.)
I could probably make a million logos and still not be sure I found the one I like. I like that this one is funky but I'm not sure that it would speak to all clients. Particularly wedding clients, though I'm not sure how many of those I'll be getting anyways. I seem to be drawn to the chocolate brown! So would you hire a photographer based on this logo? Would it make you walk away? Does the logo really matter?

Current Logo:

New Logo:


I don't know. The more I look at it the less sure I am. I may just try to find a design of some sort (curlicues? lacy modern flowers?) to go with my original logo design. I think this process is way too hard for me because I like too many styles!

6 comments:

Aly sun said...

I find this process very hard as well. That is why I still water mark my pictures with simple "Zapfino" font and call it a day. I really like the font you have in your original logo. Did it look too busy with the fancy font plus a small picture?
My cousin does logo design for a living and he is a genius at it. Check out his work at: http://www.ewertdesign.com

simplykersh said...

I am going to be truthful, I like the colors but I don't like the new logo. Sorry! It is to busy. I like the idea of flowers, but in the words of Jeff - less chrysanthemum more daisy. Or go Irish with a 4 leaf clover look. Your photography seems to be minimalistic and in the moment (which we love by the way), your logo should reflect that. Also we really like the font of your name in the first logo, but "photography" is a little bold. Just ideas here! Hope it helps.

Cooking with Big E said...

Thank you for the honest feedback, that's really what I was hoping for! Lots to think about :)

Unknown said...

I like the old one (current one?) its simple and clean. Works well for branding in documents, watermarks, etc.

Anonymous said...

I had fun reading the comments--the flowers you created are adorable! I think you should use them--as a stencil for your daughters room! All that work, and they should be appreciated! I like you original one as well--it speaks of more sophistication! But a curly or something alongside the 'k' in your name might be nice...can't wait to see what else you do! There's a fun blog site kevinandamanda.com that has lots of really great free 'handwriting' fonts and extras--you might like to look at that~Kelsey

KimJ said...

I have to say I like your original logo better as a watermark and jsut overall. The new one is nice, but I think it detracts from the photo and that is not what you want. It's a fine balance between professional and artsy.