Monday, September 29, 2008

For the Love of Pie

Those of you that know me well know that I love pie. You would also know that I have never in my life bought a store-bought pie crust, nor am I likely to ever do so. For some reason it seems like most people are scared of making pie crust and I think it's truly a shame. They aren't very hard and the results are sooooo worth the extra five minutes it takes to put together.

I'm sharing my Mom's super yummy pie crust recipe that I use for two crust pies (and some one crust....but I have a pat in the pan recipe that I also like for those). Hopefully someone reading will be inspired to bake a pie with homemade pie crust!

Almost Perfect Pastry
3 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt or more if desired
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2.5 oz (or use 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp) milk

Combine salt with flour. Add oil and milk, combined with fork or large spoon. Add small amount of flour if dough is too moist. Roll between two pieces of waxed paper. It helps to dampen the counter first to prevent it from slipping. Roll to desired size and peel off waxed paper to fit dough in the pan. Finish with pie filling and bake as directed. To bake crust for one crust pie preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 50 minutes in a 9 inch pie plate.

And here is the result you can expect:

1 comments:

Aly sun said...

I haven't ever seen a pie crust that takes veggie oil before. I use an unconventional recipe that mixes some of the flour with water, making a paste that is then added to the shortening/flour/salt mixture. It also makes a really flaky crust.

You are right, you just can't beat home-made. I have only ever bought a graham cracker crust at the store. I felt very ashamed of myself and never did it again.