Monday, September 29, 2008

I sewed!


I'm not much of a seamstress but every now and again I get the urge to attempt to sew something which usually results in a lot of aggravation, scrutinizing the manual for 20 minutes at a stretch, and plenty use of the seam ripper. Last year I found some really cute vintage Halloween fabric and bought it with the intention to make Grace a trick-or-treat bag with it. I also bought the black canvas, orange dingle ball trim, and some coordinating orange thread in that moment of inspiration. What I didn't take into consideration at the time was that I was 8.5 months pregnant and not surprisingly the project sat in a plastic bag on the washing machine for two months before being put away in the sewing materials box in the office closet.

Yesterday I was looking at Grace's AWANAS book bag and remembered the trick-or-treat bag project I had in the closet so I pulled the stuff out and gave it a go. My sewing skills have not seen great improvement, and it took me a good chunk of the evening (much to David's chagrin) but I'm proud to say I finished it. And it actually looks pretty good! My wrestling match with the thread tension totally paid off which means I'm now thinking I need to find some cute boyish Halloween fabric to make Ethan one...

Isn't it cute?!?

The orange dingle balls totally make the bag. Of course the coolest feature of the bag according to Grace when I showed it to her is that it is made specifically to hold candy. Even orange dingle balls can't trump candy.

5 comments:

Brian and Anne said...

Awesome! It really looks great. And seriously, you can't beat a bag that hold candy.

Natalie Whisler said...

Very cute. I love the fabric.

Aly sun said...

I love the fabric and yay for you for completing your project. It looks super cute. I also found that my highest time of inspiration was when I was 8.5-9 months pregnant. I have a quilt project that is undone from last year too.

Brooke said...

That is so cute. Good job!

Lindsay said...

So, so cute! Are they for sale?? :)