Thursday, September 11, 2008

No AWANAS for Grace last night

Last night was supposed to be Grace's first night of AWANAS but as we were getting ready to get in the car she threw a mega tantrum and a result we stayed home. It was partly my fault since I didn't insist on her taking a nap today (she's been trying to drop naps, only taking them sporadically and often ill timed) and rushed the getting ready to go process. I didn't realize the time so I was hurrying her along to get shoes on and her hair ready and she just fell to pieces on the way out the door. She cried and carried on for about 20 minutes in her room and when she was done I went in to talk to her about it. I asked her why she was crying and she said it was because she wanted to go to AWANAS and was sad she didn't get to go. Probing a little deeper it turned out that she originally threw a fit because she was hungry and wanted a graham cracker. Probably because she ate like a bird at dinner. We had a talk about how it's much better to talk to Mommy and tell me what she needs rather then throw a tantrum. I told her if she had told me she was hungry and needed a snack I could have gotten her one to eat and then we could have gone to AWANAS. I told her we'd try again next week but I can't take a crying girl to do fun things.

Today we're driving up to Portland to meet my Dad and go to the zoo with him to celebrate his birthday. Grace has only been to the zoo one time last summer and is very excited about going again. She's been telling me about the animals she's going to see there and is most excited about seeing a hippopotamus. She's also very excited to see Grandpa since he's one of her favorite people!

1 comments:

Aly sun said...

Good Mommy-ing, Kellie. Sometime it feels like I am punishing myself when I say, "You don't get ______ if...." to my almost 4 year old. It is hard for us moms (and clearly for the child too), but effective. Grace will remember this one and I imagine she will not test you about Awana's again. Way to be strong!