Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ethan Grew!


Yesterday was Ethan's two year well child appointment which went really well. Our appointment was in the morning and we were in and out within 45 minutes. I love it when doctor's appointments don't involve a ton of waiting! Ethan stood on the scale to check his weight just fine but wanted nothing to do with standing next to the wall to check his height so he had to lay down in the room. He weighed 24.4 lbs and is 34" tall. That puts him in thte 10th percentile for weight and 45th for height. Most importantly his weight for height measurement doesn't put him in the malnourished category! Yay Ethan! If you remember back to last year his weight wasn't even on the chart and we had to come back for a weigh in a month later. The pediatrician asked what we were doing differently and I had to answer honestly that we're doing nothing differently. He's just a hungry boy! He quite often eats his food and half of his sister's. He's really a pretty good eater and must have gotten used to all the protein I've forced on him in the last year. We're keeping both kids on whole milk for the time being. Dr. Farah said to stick with the whole unless it looks like either one of them gains a lot of weight all of a sudden. Ha! I don't see that happening anytime soon!

We also talked about Ethan's slow verbal development. I told her that I've noticed his talking has really improved in the last two weeks. I've even heard him try to say Grace's name which is a first. He isn't putting two words together yet and if he goes another couple months without doing so I'll give Dr. Farah a call to have him checked out. Grace was also a late talker and didn't put two words together at her 2 year appointment either. She made up for it with a vengeance once she did start talking and she hasn't been silent since. I'm not that worried.

Both kids got a flu shot at the end of our visit. I was glad they did it for us so I don't have to bring them in to Salem on a Saturday morning for the walk-in flu shot clinic. We did Ethan first since I knew Grace was going to be difficult and I didn't want her reaction to scare Ethan. Ethan did fine, crying for about 20 seconds and that was it. Grace on the other handld threw a huge fit when it was her turn and it took both me and the nurse to restrain her to get her shot. I got her to calm down by telling her she could tell her preschool teacher and friends all about the shot she got. Grace *loves* to tell stories so once I told her that she stopped crying and started listing off all the people she could tell. At least she stopped crying!

1 comments:

Brian said...

Fight the man Grace! I hate shots too.