Thursday, October 22, 2009

Swine Flu Vaccine

Yesterday Polk County hosted a free Swine Flu Vaccine Clinic at the fairgrounds from 2-6pm. We were there by 2:45 after picking Grace up from preschool. We stood in line for 1 hour and 45 minutes before we even got inside the building. Once we got inside the building we were given a form to fill out for each person receiving the vax and then we got into another line. We were in that line for about 20 minutes before we were given the vax info and sent to the Nasal Spray vax line. We were in that line for 20 minutes before we finally had our turn.

All along I told Grace that she wouldn't get a shot but instead they would spray medicine in her nose. She is super scared of shots after getting her 4 year shots in August and the flu shot 2 weeks ago. I knew she'd be a challenge and she was. As soon as she saw the syringe looking thing she freaked out so I had to hold her in a headlock so the guy could administer the vaccine. Ethan watched this whole thing without pause. He sat on my lap and let the guy do his nose with a bit of a fuss but I didn't even have to hold him still. So much easier. The guy gave me the regular shot in the arm which I prefer (although my children definitely wouldn't!) and we were on our way home.

We got there at 2:45 and left at 5:20pm. As a treat I got a DQ Blizzard for the kids and I to share (Cherry Cheesequake was what Grace really wanted...probably because it's pink) and then we rushed dinner to get Grace to AWANAS by 6:30.

I'm glad we got the vax yesterday even though it was a long wait. I have to take the kids back for a second dose in a month and I'm hoping that the line for that won't be as bad. Apparently kids under 10 have to have two doses. I'll have to start thinking of a bribe for Grace since I know she's not going to be a fan!

0 comments: