Saturday, May 29, 2010

He's in the Army Now

Monday evening I drove two sick (one with an earache and one with a fever/puking) children up to Portland in order to give my brother a last hug before he reported for boot camp. He signed the dotted line a couple months ago but he didn't get picked up until last Sunday. He spent the night at a hotel and had a few hours free Monday evening to go out to dinner with us. Since I had two sick kids I met him at the hotel parking lot for five minutes. Totally worth it, I'm going to miss him!

He's starting out with an E4 rank in the Army due to his Masters degree. His goal is to make Officer Candidate School by the time his four years is done. I'm sure he will because he's pretty disciplined and has an excellent work ethic. So long as he gets the hang of doing what he's told with no questions (ha!) he'll probably do just fine. If nothing else he'll have his student loans completely paid for and a good sized savings account at the end of four years which is nothing to sneeze at either.

He's been in "purgatory" this past week waiting for boot camp to start. After boot camp in South Carolina he'll move to Georgia for his individual training in computer networks.

Since this is Memorial Day weekend I thought it'd be a good time to remind everyone to think about those who have or are serving our country. They sacrifice a lot and I know I for one appreciate them. Here's to my Uncles Greg & Brad, Aunt Rhonda, Grandpa Jack, Grandpa Bob, David's Grandpa Delbert, David's cousin Brian (currently in Iraq), and now my brother who have all served. Thank you!

I wanted to share some photos of my brother but when I went through my zillions of photos (seriously...my May 2010 folder has 666 photos in it and the month isn't over yet!) I couldn't pick just one. So I made three collages!

And last but not least...I had to share this I Heart Faces winning photo. The theme was laughter. Brian is convinced it won because of his natural beauty.

4 comments:

Aly sun said...

A nice tribute to a great brother. It's fun seeing a few pictures I took in there from last year. Thanks for serving Brian.

Sarah's Smile said...

I didn't realize he was joining! He will be in for a bit of weather shock. Humidity is going to kick his booty! :) Going from the Pacific Northwest to HOT and HUMID south is an experience!

KimJ said...

It does this mother's heart good to see such love between her children. You both mean the world to me, and you both make me very proud.

Rhonda said...

Very nice Kellie.....