Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mission Impossible: Photographing my children TOGETHER

If you ask any portrait photographer if it's easy to photograph their children I'll bet most of them say "heck no!" My children are pretty used to the camera by now. My son is a dream child to photograph, he cooperates by looking at me while sitting still and smiling. My daughter on the other hand, has better things to do with her time. Like look anywhere other then at me, only smile with her mouth open as wide as possible, or flapping her arms like a bird. Taking photos of her is probably my biggest challenge. No, scratch that. Taking photos of my children together is my biggest challenge. Why is that? Because my normally cooperative son can't stand to have his sister give him a bear hug or sit within two feet of him. My daughter becomes more cooperative, but only because she can tell how annoyed her brother is when she displays sisterly affection. It drives me nuts.

Yesterday I decided to risk the odds and attempt Mission Impossible. I sat both the kids on the stool in the middle of the soggy grass barefoot so that they weren't tempted to get off. Neither child likes to walk in the mud with bare feet so this forced them to sit next to each other without moving. Yes, I'm a mean mother. Then I tried to get them to interact without killing each other. As per usual Grace was more then happy to smother her little brother in kisses and hugs. And also as usual Ethan detested it. Then my very smart super intelligent husband opened the office window behind me and made the kids laugh. They smiled real smiles and didn't even seem to realize what was happening. I may have to try this trick again!

Here's the outtakes...very minimally edited. For the best of the bunch head over to my Project 365 blog.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

i love how bright and vibrant these pics are!