Monday, June 22, 2009

Surprise! It's a Luau!


This past weekend was a blast as we drove up to Yakima, WA to surprise my Grandma with a 70th Birthday Luau! The kids and I drove up to Portland Thursday and spent the night with Mom and then the four of us headed up to Yakima on Friday morning. David and my brother drove up from Dallas Friday afternoon and my Uncle Brad and Aunt Rhonda arrived Saturday morning. My Mom, Uncle Brad, and Grandpa have been planning the party since early this spring but didn't tell my Grandma about it until this last week. She had no idea what kind of party it was until Uncle Brad unloaded two huge plastic totes full of luau decorations! We all pitched in and had the patio decorated in no time. My cousin Tyler brought along a friend (who goes by the name Kool Aid by the way) and they were given the job of bar tender. I don't think two 17 year old boys could be more excited about a job. They even dressed for the part wearing grass skirts and flower bras! It was a hoot. It was also pretty entertaining watching Uncle Brad and Grandpa teach the boys the proper way to make a pina colada. Those boys were sure taking notes! My cousin Randi scored major points with both Grace and Ethan this weekend since she played with them and kept them very entertained. Grace could hardly wait to see her and didn't leave her sight the entire weekend. Grandma seemed to really enjoy herself and we all had a great time.

I had a really hard time narrowing down photos to share with you all so I gave up and I'm sharing a bunch. You'll just have to suffer.

How many men does it take to hang up a banner? Apparently five.

It's looking like Hawaii out there! And what's Brian doing? Is he taking a break to wear a grass skirt and drink a beer?

Grandma posing with the bar tenders

Not sure how we snookered Grandpa into wearing the grass skirt but it made for a cute picture!

The boys getting bar tending lessons. They got pretty good!

Grace enjoying her punch with a pink umbrella straw of course!

David hanging out with Grandma on the porch swing.

Mom having a good time!

Randi enjoying her tiki drink too.

Proof that Ethan was at the party. I think he wants something!

Uncle Brad taking a break after barbecuing lunch.

Aunt Rhonda getting excited for pink Baked Alaska!

Grandma blowing out her candles. The pink Baked Alaska was soooo yummy!

3 comments:

Niki said...

Um. I'm pretty sure Randi is a three year old that was your flower girl. How is she the tween/teen in that pic?

Andrea said...

I think it's funny how the one bartender boy is trying to puff out his chest like he's got a rack! ha ha ha!

...and that pink alaska stuff looks intriguing.... WHAT is it?!?!

Andrea said...

I sent you a message a couple weeks ago - not sure if you missed it though being busy with summer and the kids and all... can I get your recipe for that pink alaska stuff? I want to make it for Laura's birthday party in the end of September and the recipes I'm finding online look nothing like that one. Thanks! You can either sent it through facebook message - websisters - or leave a comment on my blog when you get a chance :)