Friday, June 3, 2011

Hello Goodbye

Remember when I got my first dslr back in May 2008?  In my blog post I mentioned that I couldn't wait to get it and post a million photos.  I bet I'm close!  I posted the very first photos I took with my brand spanking new Rebel and I have to say that taking a million photos has really helped me come a long ways.  Yikes!  The last blog post on this blog with photos taken with my Rebel was Grace's First Day of Kindergarten.  Certainly taking a million photos improved my skills some.  My Rebel was good to me and I learned to shoot on the scary Manual mode with it so it will always have a special place in my heart.

When I first started venturing into photography as a business and not just a (very expensive!) hobby David gave me the rule that I couldn't spend family money on photography equipment, only money I earned.  It's actually a great rule, even if it is frustrating at times.  I really think through all my purchases and spend my money 500 times before ever actually spending a dime.  Last fall I had finally made enough to either improve my lenses or upgrade my camera body to full frame.  I chose to buy the lenses first and it was a good decision for me.  I upgraded my 50mm and bought the 85mm once I realized that I'm really a prime girl.  Instead of making a big jump in camera bodies I bought a used 40D and kept my Rebel as my backup.  The 40D was a nice jump and a really nice camera, but I knew when I bought it that I still really wanted to go full frame.

This spring I realized that the only time I reached for my Tamron zoom lens was when I needed to go wider then 50mm (mostly indoors studio shoots) and I realized I could sell my Tamron to fund a wide angle prime.  When I was researching which wide angle prime to get I realized that if I could find a way to upgrade to the full frame I might not need a super wide lens.  So I sold my Tamron and my Rebel and cleaned out my business account to buy a used 5D classic.  I realize it's not the newest (the 5D iii is due to come out this fall so I'll be 2 generations behind) but neither was the 40D when I bought it.  Most of my equipment has been bought used because saving up for new would take me way too long!

I realize most of you reading this blog post are probably super bored by now and have no idea what I'm talking about.  Suffice it to say that as sad as I was to say goodbye to my Rebel I am even more excited to say a great big HELLO! to my 5D!  I am not even a little embarrassed to say I screamed with joy when I got back to the car to drive home with it.  You can ask the kids, they'll tell you just how happy I was!  There wasn't a lot of light left when we got home but I still managed to take a few photos with my new camera and had the kids mimic my excited face. 

Goodbye to my Rebel....
And a great big HELLO! to my new 5D!
Watch out world because here I come...full frame camera in tow!

2 comments:

Aly sun said...

I followed ya! And I'm very excited for you!

Dana said...

I am so jealous! I would LOVE to own a 5D someday. Hope you enjoy it and I'm looking forward to seeing many millions of more photos from you! :)