Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Grace's 3 Year Photos...better late then never!

I've been working on getting some good photos of Grace for her 3rd Birthday and it's been a challenge. Grace has been a challenge to photograph ever since she became mobile, hardly ever wanting to face the camera unless she's two inches away from it and doesn't cooperate with me when I try to stage a shot. She also rarely smiles for the camera. Over time I have learned to become inventive in our photo sessions. For these I plucked a hydrangea flower off the bush so she'd have something to focus on. That worked pretty well. We went to a wedding last Saturday and will be in one this Sunday so we've been talking about weddings a lot lately and when I handed her the hydrangea she said it was wedding flowers. I went with it and had Grace "practice" walking down the aisle for her flower girl role by walking down our gravel pathway on the side of the house. We'll need to do some more practice on that since I'm pretty sure Katie doesn't want her to run down the aisle. I'm pretty happy with the photos though! I love the golden sunset glow.













And here is what Ethan was doing while I was taking Grace's pictures. He ate rocks.

3 comments:

Aly sun said...

The photos are beautiful. I just did a post about taking pictures INTO the sun on my photography blog. It is hard to do it right and the pictures of Grace are perfect with the soft sunlight behind her. 3 year olds are hard to photograph in general, but you will have many fun memories of trying to get her to be "perfect."

Cooking with Big E said...

I see you're a devoted PW follower as well ;) I saw her post and thought that I've been enjoying taking pictures into the sun at sunset but maybe I ought to try some early morning pictures too. Might be fun!

As for "perfect" pictures...all I was really after were pictures that show her personality. Preferably without her hair in her eyes (currently growing out bangs so they're in her face all the time), a grimace on her face, or half her body running out of the frame. Of course sometimes those grimace face pictures turn out to be pretty cute.

James Furlo said...

Yep, those are pretty adorable pictures.