Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How I had Sirrius, loved it, and lost it

When we bought our new-to-us van in October of 2007 we discovered it had Sirrius radio. We assumed it would run out at the end of the month but when November came and it was still working we assumed it would end at the end of the year. David even called Sirrius up to try and find out how long our van had a subscription for and the guy was surprised we still had it so we were pretty sure we'd lose it quickly. After 2008 came and we were still getting Sirrius radio we were starting to think that maybe our van had a lifetime subscription. Or rather I hoped that was the case. You see, I had become pretty used to our fuzz-free radio and Grace and I both enjoyed the kids station. I loved how clear the reception was and every time I drove the Ford I could barely listen to the fuzzy NPR. I was spoiled.

It's been over a year of radio bliss. And then it happened. I was driving home from Walmart yesterday and turned the channel and the Sirrius went out. Instead of listening to Classic Vinyl I now saw the "Call 1-888-...." message and I got worried. I tried another station. Same thing. I got home and unloaded the pet food and went back to pick up Grace from ballet. Surely the Sirrius would be back after I turned the car off and on again. No dice. I checked again on the way home from ballet once I picked up Grace and again, no reception. No reception on the way to swim class last night or home from our church meeting. Nothing. Checked again this morning and you guessed it...nothing.

To say I'm mourning the loss of my much enjoyed Sirrius radio might be a bit of an overstatement, but man I miss it! It's funny how quickly I became used to it. One of the reasons I liked Sirrius was that the kids station played fairly decent music. My favorite FM channel used to be 97.1 KISN but it switched to different programming way back in 2005 that left me in a tizzy. So now I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what radio channel to listen to in the car with the kids. I like NPR and 106.7 but miss having the kid friendly options. What does everybody else listen to? I need some good recommendations that are family friendly!

0 comments: