Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A portrait of the photographer


I've been too busy and haven't participated in the last few photography assignments so I thought I'd go back and try a few I missed. One was taking a portrait of another person which I do all the time so I won't concentrate on that for now. The hardest one (for me at least!) was to do a self portrait. Tricky stuff. I attempted it yesterday with mixed results. I sat next to a window in the afternoon and turned on the delay so I could push the button and get myself into some kind of pose. I was lazy and didn't get any further from the camera then I could reach because getting the focus right was a challenge otherwise.

One thing I discovered is that this process would be way easier if I didn't wear glasses. They reflect the window in a lot of shots which I didn't like. I'm not real used to taking pictures of people with glasses since I take mostly pictures of my kids and they don't wear them. Of course when I'm behind the camera and not in front of it I can move myself to an angle where the reflection isn't an issue. In this series I was guessing how to move my face to make the reflection disappear.

Perhaps I'll try this again a few more times and see if I get any better at it. It certainly showed me that I need to practice taking pictures of people with glasses!

3 comments:

Niki said...

for your 'not sure you did it right' first try, i think these look really great! especially the last one where you're smiling. i think looking actually happy and not 'smiling for the camera' happy has got to be pretty difficult in self-portraits. well done!

Lindsay said...

You did good! I like the second one.

Aly sun said...

You did good. I'm really impressed. It is WAY easier when you are behind the camera looking at the subject, able to direct the person wearing glasses how to turn his/her head. It still is really tricky. Children with glasses are the #1 hardest subject to photograph in my opinion. Remind me again who you are taking the "classes" through. I am interesting in honing my skills as well.