Thursday, March 19, 2009

Signs of Spring


You know things are looking up when I can let the kids play outside for more then 30 seconds without a coat on. This afternoon we went outside to play as soon as Ethan woke up from his afternoon nap. He's been pretty cranky after his nap lately and just as I hoped, the sunshine turned him into a smiling happy boy immediately. I'm sorry if you are all bored of seeing the same ugly background of the kids playing in our backyard but it's a small space and you get what you get. At least you don't have to sink in the soggy grass or dodge the dog poo. We did our best to get as much grass as possible back there and our kids prefer to play in the barkdust/dirt or in the rocks on the side of the house. The appeal of gravel is immense. Ethan loves to pick up the gravel and play with it on the outside trash can and Grace likes to pretend the rocks are food for her "table" in the front yard. You make do with what you have.

Our daffodils in the front were almost ready to pop yesterday so they're one spot of prettiness in our otherwise bleak yard. I cleaned up the lillies and weeded last week so things are looking better. Give it a few more weeks and we might even have flowering trees!

Grace eventually talked me into taking the kids on a walk in the red wagon so we could hunt for flowers. We found some in other yards, but most looked kind of like ours. That made me feel better. We went over to the empty lots and found some wild flowering weeds of some kind for Grace to pick which made her thrilled. We couldn't find any purple flowers which would have really made her day (yesterday was a Purple Day).

Ethan playing with his green balloon

I'm not sure little boys come any cuter then this one!

I was practicing taking non-blurry photos of fast moving targets. Dancing Grace fit the bill.

Playing in the rocks. I think she's telling me this one is a purple rock.

0 comments: