Thursday, September 3, 2009

Grace's 4 Year Portraits...a tad overdue!

So I'm a bit late in doing Grace's four year portraits since she turned 4 over a month ago. We've been busy, but mostly I've been waiting for the lovely red poison oak rash to disappear! Nasty stuff, that poison oak. I'm still scratching a spot on one of my legs!

I took the opportunity to bring Grace to the park for some pictures one day while David was working from home this week. I waited until Ethan was down for his afternoon nap and then did my best to make picture taking sound like fun to my four year old. She wasn't buying it at first, but after a mention of a "special treat" if she cooperated things got a little better. Grace has never been a fan of the camera, and only really wants her picture taken if the camera is pointed at her brother. Siblings are a big help in motivation I've discovered. The best motivator was actually the last spot we found on the way back to the van. I noticed this little tree with the perfect limb for sitting on, not three feet from the ground. I swung her up there and ooohed and aaaahed and told her she looked "just like Sleeping Beauty" which got her glowing and her real smile finally made an appearance! Not only that but she smiled while looking in my direction...a real rarity when I have a camera in my hands. Usually she looks down or anywhere other then my direction. She can't really look up because of her ptosis, and any shots that I get of her looking up really make the ptosis show up so I avoid them with her.

I edited the photos two ways, both my regular vivid colors and a more vintage "honey" look. By the way, if anyone out there reading this has Photoshop you really should check out Coffee Shop for a bunch of fantastic and FREE actions! I really like the Color Pop and tried out the Vintage Honey Action for the more vintage looking photos. Check out my photography blog for my favorites.

And what do you all think about the vintage look? Do you prefer the full color? Personally, I think I like the vintage look for some of the photos, but purposefully dressed Grace in bright girly colors that would pop in photographs.

3 comments:

Aly sun said...

Good job capturing her. It is a lot of work, but so worth it. I like the ones you chose on your photography blog. And I really can't decide if I like the vivid color better or the washed out look. They are all nice.

Natalie Whisler said...

My favorite is the second one on the photo blog. I think I actually prefer the full color, but I might like the vintage honey at a slightly lower opacity. I like how the vintage honey with the purple of her shirt, but I'm not so sure about it with skin tones.

Anonymous said...

beautiful! Love them both for their own purpose! Kelsey