Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Grace's First Day of Preschool

I know you've all been waiting to hear how Grace's first day of preschool went on Monday and you'll be happy to know that it went great! She was very excited to go after all the preparations. We went last Friday to meet her teacher and see her room which was a nice preview for her. She found her hook to hang up her coat and backpack, her spot at one of the tables, glanced longingly at all the toys, and found her name on the Special Helper board. We received some homework before school started when they asked Grace to decorate a paper doll to look like herself and to pick a stuffed animal to bring to school the first day. We worked on the paper doll on Sunday and Grace picked out her Lilly frog to bring to class.

Monday afternoon we all four trooped down to the school and let Grace and Ethan play on the playground for 5 minutes before we headed into Grace's classroom. She hung her backpack up and handed her paper doll to her teacher before she sat down at her spot and began to play with playdough. That's when we took our exit, and just as I predicted, Grace didn't even look up to see us go. It actually makes me kind of glad that Grace has zero issues with separation anxiety. It means that she's secure enough in herself to not need me there all the time and trusts that we will be back to get her.

I picked her up Monday afternoon and she told me all about her afternoon at school. She was very glad that she was the only one to bring a Lily to share and kept telling me there were 2 kitties. I guess it's a faux pas to show up with the same stuffed animal in preschool. She brought home a School Rules book she colored/glued, a fish hat she made, and a letter with all the snack times for the month. We're signed up for the most inconvenient day ever, a week from Monday. I'm leaving for Nashville Wednesday evening and will get back really late Sunday night and I'm pretty sure that making up 16 individual snack baggies will not happen Monday morning. Guess I'll do those before I leave!

Grace was pretty tired when I picked her up from preschool and I assumed she was tired from all the excitement etc. but within an hour of getting home I could tell it was more then just being tired. Then she snuggled up to me and I noticed she was hot. I broke out the thermometer and her temp read 101.3 so I gave her Tylenol and got her to nap and go to bed early. Who knew the sick season could start less then an hour after school gets out the first day? She was a little lethargic yesterday but today she's acting normally and has no temperature. I'm hoping it was just a freak fever that's gone now.

Since I still don't have my camera back (and probably won't get it back until at least the 22nd...) I had to make do with my iphone to get pictures on Monday. Really irked me, but is spurring me to find a replacement battery for our HP point and shoot so we have a back up camera for these kinds of things. Here's what I managed to get with my iphone though:

0 comments: