Thursday, February 19, 2009

Green Bean Casserole Flop


Tonight I made a classic casserole from my childhood that we called Green Bean Casserole. It's not really a green bean casserole but more like Shepherds Pie since it's topped with mashed potatoes. I haven't attempted too many classics from my childhood since the first time I tried to make my Mom's Tamale Pie I failed miserably. Granted that was three weeks after I was married and responsible for feeding my husband and myself for the first time, and I also substituted a few too many ingredients. The point is, after botching a familiar recipe I was hesitant to try another one. David isn't a big fan of most of my favorite foods growing up anyways. I love Tuna Noodle casserole, Tamale Pie, and Turkey Pot Pie. He wouldn't touch any of those with a ten foot pole, though recently he has relented and agreed to possibly try some of them. Even the Tuna Noodle.

So tonight I started with the one that doesn't include any ingredients that he doesn't care for. My kids however, were another story. They took one look at my lovingly prepared meal and blanched. Big time. Ethan started crying without even tasting it and Grace pronounced it yucky because she thought the green beans were onions. Anything green or that she doesn't want to eat in a dish is an onion. That would include celery and mushrooms and most anything green.

Grace eventually gave in and ate most of her dinner because I told her she had to eat it if she wanted to go to her swim lesson. She said she liked the meat but really didn't like the potatoes. I honestly don't know how I, a huge potato lover, could have possible given birth to two children that don't like potatoes. I may have to disown them. Ethan eventually tasted his dinner but didn't swallow any. He doesn't care for ground beef or potatoes as a rule, and apparently green beans aren't high on his list either. He did discover that it's fun to stick your fork in mashed potatoes. That had to happen sooner or later I suppose.

Here's the recipe for anyone who might happen to like potatoes, green beans, and onions. It's really a good simple meal.

1lb hamburger
1 can green beans, undrained
1 can tomato soup
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups mashed potatoes
french fried onions
1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Brown the hamburger and drain. Combine with green beans, soup, and salt. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Combine potatoes and onions and spoon on top of the meat mixture. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Add the extra cheese and onions (I reserve the majority for on top!) and bake 5 more minutes.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

seriously hilarious! Kids are way tougher critics than husbands.

Anonymous said...

You have to be kidding me. I live within 20 miles of you and I did not get an invite to the greatest dish mom ever made (besides x-mas dinner)? You know there would have been nothing left but crumbs if I were there. Grace, Ethan, send your uncle B the leftovers, I'll eat them all.

jackie goddard said...

that is so funny. i remember a lot of dishes my mom makes that i hated when i was little and now beg her to make!

Cooking with Big E said...

I'll make Green Bean Casserole for you next time you're over for dinner Brian. At least I'll know one person will appreciate the meal!

Aly sun said...

It looks yummy to me. I do something similar, but no tomato soup and I put tater tots on the top. That way I am assured that my children will eat something of the meal. My husband covers the whole thing in katchup.... I wonder why he would want to cover up the taste? I grew up on this dish and always asked for it for my birthday.

Anonymous said...

Here I was going to say you should have invited your brother over and he's already commented on that! It's nice to know my kids liked something I cooked thru the growing up years. Have faith, Grace & Ethan will eventually like stuff they hate now. Your brother even eats vegetables now!