Thursday, February 19, 2009

MyTurn to Rule the World!


Aren't you all enjoying our journey through my favorite games? I thought this week we could branch out a bit and I can tell you about one of the video games I like to play, Civilization Revolution. I'm sure my husband is off in a corner hyperventilating with excitement that I admit in public to enjoying the occasional video game, but there you have it. I've always been a fan of the Civilization games but until this one I've only played them on the computer. In fact most of the games I played in the far distant before children past have been strategy/simulation games on the computer (The Sims, Sim City, etc).

If you're familiar with the Civilization games this one is pretty much the same thing with some nifty new features. I happen to LOVE the new Quick Play option. It's under the Scenarios tab and it starts you off with three cities and moves the game pretty quickly. Like around 30 minutes. If you're like me and don't have 30 hours to devote to an epic game that involves lots of micro-managing then this is the option for you. I played three Quick Play games last night while David recorded this week's Podcast with his friend Roger.

I'm not particularly good with military victories, I really prefer to win with a cultural victory but that's too hard to do in the Quick Play option so I usually opt to win the Science Race. I can churn new technologies out pretty fast and have that strategy down pretty well. I've won using all four victories: Military, Cultural, Space Race, and Economic. I don't have a favorite civ to play as, though I find the ones that lean towards a military edge to be more difficult for me to play with since I inevitably try for a non-military win.

Any other women out there brave enough to admit they might like to play a video game now and then? Or how about other Civ players, what's your favorite winning strategy?

0 comments: