Friday, February 27, 2009

The Stomach Bug

I mentioned previously that I wasn't feeling well this week and that's an understatement. The story starts on Sunday when David left with my Mom to drive up to Portland so he could fly out on a business trip early Monday morning. Four hours after he left (at about 2am) I woke up with a terrible gut busting trip to the bathroom. I absolutely HATE to throw up. I mean REALLY HATE to throw up. I've become pretty good at not throwing up, the months of All Day sickness I had while pregnant gave me lots of good practice. So I prayed really hard that I wouldn't throw up. I pleaded with God that anything would be better then throwing up. So he granted my wish and I spent a little over two hours pretty much stuck on the toilet. Be careful what you ask God for.

Monday was a pretty awful day with plenty of bathroom trips and nausea. I set up for MOPS (with several emergency bathroom trips!) and when we got home I called to say we wouldn't be able to make it Tuesday morning. It's probably best we didn't go since there's no way I could have got us there by 8am when I didn't even make it out of bed until that time! Tuesday I did feel marginally better and even ate some saltines and applesauce. I did bring Grace to ballet and swimming lessons since they were afternoon/evening activities and she needed to get out of the house. Wednesday I was feeling even better so I opened Indoor Park like I usually do and visited the second preschool that afternoon with both kids (wore Ethan in the mei tai since and he napped for most of the visit). I also brought Grace to AWANAS that night after I got bold and attempted to eat some of the macaroni and cheese I fed the kids for dinner.

Thursday I was feeling almost normal and was even starting to feel hungry again so I bit the bullet and got some Chicken Bacon Artichoke d'lite pizza from Papa Murphy's for dinner since I'd been planning on getting some while David was away and I didn't want to miss it! Right before dinner, as in it was on the plate and cut up, Ethan threw up. I hesitated before I gave him the pizza but went ahead since it was already on his plate and we were running a little late to get Grace to swimming lessons. We got to swimming lessons just as the kids were getting in the water and I sat in a chair with Ethan to watch. About 15 minutes into the class he threw up all over me. I mean ALL OVER me. If you're like my husband and aren't a fan of Chicken Bacon Artichoke pizza then you probably don't ever want to see it in it's partially digested form. Not pretty. I got Ethan and I cleaned up as best I could and got back in time to watch the last five minutes of Grace's lesson. I got her changed into her jammies quickly and drove home to change Ethan's pajamas (he completely covered himself as well) and my jeans. On the way home he threw up again, this time all over his car seat.

After 10 minutes of changing myself and Ethan and mopping up the car seat as best as I could we got back in the car to drive up to Portland (this is now 7:15pm by the way) to pick up David since he was finally getting back home from his trip. I brought an extra pair of pajamas for Ethan, two cloth diapers for any needed clean up, and extra water bottles. I gave the ped's office a call to talk to a nurse who didn't have a lot of helpful advice so we continued on our merry way, stopping one more time on the side of the freeway to clean up after he threw up again. Friends of ours picked David up from the airport and I was going to meet them at their house in Clackamas. When we got there I discovered Ethan had thrown up again before he fell asleep so I tried to clean him up a little without waking him. By the time David arrived and got in the van the car smelled pretty ripe. I'm sure it was a less then pleasant homecoming for him!

We got home last night a little after 10pm and while I was changing Ethan into clean pajamas he threw up yet again, but by that time there wasn't anything really left to come up. I felt so bad for him! Happily he slept through the night fine and hasn't thrown up today at all (knock on wood!). He was mad to be given two saltines for breakfast with only sips of water in his sippy cup. Once that stayed down for an hour or so I gave him a little applesauce and more water and now he seems happier. He's playing just fine and otherwise acting fine which I'm glad for.

Moral of the story: Try not to get a stomach bug when your husband is out of town for four days and for God's sake do NOT feed Chicken Bacon Artichoke pizza to anyone who has the remotest chance of throwing up because it is not pretty the second time!

4 comments:

Aly sun said...

Oh Kellie! This is the worst story I've heard all day. I've been there, felt your pain, cleaned up vomity car seats, and I know how awful it is. Thankfully kids recover quickly, but Ethan won't thank you for a very long, long time.

Natalie Whisler said...

That does not sound like fun. I'm sorry.

(ps-Thanks for giving me awful flash backs to our plane ride home from Iowa)

Anonymous said...

This is one of those Uncle B help times. All you have to do is ask your brother to hang out and help for an evening to give you some sleep. I'll do what I can.

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

No WAY!! This sounds terrible! I sure hope Grace doesn't get it!!