Friday, April 24, 2009

Like Father Like Daughter


My first impression of my newborn daughter when she was first handed to me was that she looked exactly like her father. And I mean exactly. There wasn't a trace of myself in her beautiful face and if I hadn't just gave birth to her I wouldn't have known she came from me at all! As she grew she still favors her father quite a bit, though I see myself in her face as well.

Grace's resemblance to her father is more then just physical traits. Grace is a mini-David in so many ways! They share similar personalities which will be interesting to watch as Grace grows into adolescence. David and Grace are both stubborn (so am I, but that's another matter!) which for Grace means that she doesn't give up easily. She will work on a puzzle over and over until she has mastered it.

Both David and Grace love to pay attention to details. Just like her Daddy she pays attention to everything and soaks in everything. She checks everything out thoroughly and when she notices something isn't quite right she will tell you. Like when she got her very first Sleeping Beauty Barbie doll for Easter and quickly discovered she didn't have any underwear on. That's the sort of mundane detail that Grace never misses!

Another trait they share is a sense of order. For David that manifests as an abhorrence for piles (remember my confession post earlier?) and a need for the house to be in order for him to feel at peace. For Grace it means that she loves to line her legion of plastic princess figurines in a particular order along the edge of the bookshelf. I remember when she wasn't even 2 a nursery worker was impressed that when Grace put crayons back into a box she put them in one at a time very carefully. They both want their world to be orderly.

I love them both and it's fun to watch Grace and see glimpses of what David might have been like as a child. There's definitely no doubt that Grace is her father's daughter!

0 comments: