Saturday, April 4, 2009

Rocking the Rock Band


In honor of the jam session we held last night I am going to stray from our weekly discussion of board games and instead talk about Rock Band. David begged and pleaded with me to play with him and I finally relented after he bought it. To my great surprise I actually enjoyed it. I'd never tried playing Guitar Hero and wasn't too interested in singing so I played the drums and to everybody's surprise it turns out I'm not half bad. Shocker of a lifetime. David rocks the mic most of the time when we have guests over since very few people have the guts to sing AC DC in front of people but somebody's got to do it.

We have the Xbox 360 version of Rock Band and have Rock Band 2 which has some nice improvements over the first game. The best part is that when our band (The Lonely Robots!) goes on tour we can play any instruments we want to and aren't stuck having to always use a guitar like we did with Rock Band 1. Since neither of us can play the guitar past Medium we always had to have a friend over with better guitar skills in order to gain any fans past a certain point. We can barely squeak by on Hard with me on the drums and David on vocals but at least we can play when it's just the two of us.

We break out Rock Band fairly regularly when we have a group of people over and it always proves fun and entertaining. It's also fun to play just the two of us some nights. Nothing like working out the day's frustrations by playing the drums. Maybe that's why I have the knack for it!

The kids both get in on the action as well. They have their Elmo guitar and toy drum set but always prefer the real deal if they can get ahold of it. Grace is often content to be the Lonely Robots official dancer but Ethan would rather help me drum or figure out how to put the guitar on over his head.

3 comments:

Dominic said...

You cannot stop the rock. And I salute you.

Niki said...

that girl is a serious rocker, elmo guitar and all!

Aly sun said...

I was surprised, but I really like this game too. I am normally not a "video game" type of person. There is something about Rock Band that unites the masses.