Thursday, April 16, 2009

Recipe for Homemade Laundry Powder

I twittered about making my own laundry soap yesterday and got several requests for the recipe I use so I thought I'd share it here. Please keep in mind that I in no way invented this recipe, I just found it online somewhere after a Google search in an attempt to reign in our ever increasing grocery bill. There's also several liquid recipes floating around out there if you prefer liquid laundry detergent but I think making the powder is easier and works just fine. We've been using it for a few months now and our clothes all seem pretty clean to me.



First of all, the ingredients. I found everything but the Oxyclean at Winco (I buy Oxyclean from Costco in the bulk size...my kids are stain magnets). Today I made a double batch but I'll share the single batch recipe:

1 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
1 cup Oxyclean (optional)


The hardest part is grating the soap which takes forever with a hand grater. This time around I broke out my KitchenAid grater attachment which worked much better. It is possible to hand grate it though, I did that last time and about killed my knuckles. After the grating the rest is just dumping in ingredients and stirring. Even a preschooler can help with that part!

I use 2 tablespoons in each load of laundry (I do big loads) and usually use hot water for the first minute to help it dissolve before switching to cold water. Homemade laundry soap doesn't have the bubbles that commercial kinds do but the bubbles aren't what makes your clothes clean. I've heard that this recipe works good for High Efficiency washers but I can't verify that since my washing machine is a non-energy efficient model from 20 years ago. It does the job.

3 comments:

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

This sounds really cool! So, does Oxyclean have bleach in it? I've never used the stuff.

Anonymous said...

Have you used the liquid homemade soap from the MOPS craft yet? It has most of the same ingredients, but is it a liquid and not a poweddr. I've been using the MOPS version and really like it--I was wondering how they compare? Kelsey E.

Anonymous said...

Good recipe, it's good using regular soap, too. I've been using homemade laundry soap for years & can't imagine ever going back to commercial. I don't find it being a lot cheaper to use, but much better.