Monday, July 21, 2008

And you thought your kids were naughty...

Sunday night we put the kids down to bed early after three late nights for the rodeo. Grace was practically falling asleep in her spaghetti at dinner so she was obviously tired! We bathed them and put Grace in bed, letting Ethan stay up a little later since he wasn't as sleepy. Once I nursed Ethan and brought him up to bed around 7:30pm I was surprised to find Grace rocking in the rocking chair in their room. I put Ethan in the crib and put Grace in her bed. She started crying which woke Ethan up and I decided to let them cry a little since I knew they were both tired and should fall asleep fairly quickly. We heard them cry for about 10-15 minutes before it quieted down and we thought they had gone to sleep. Around 9pm we thought we heard them up so I snuck upstairs to listen outside their door. I didn't hear anything but thought I might as well open the door just to check. Good thing I did! I found Ethan laying asleep in the crib and Grace sitting upright in bed...and white gesso paint ALL OVER. She had found some paint in Sam's stuff that is being stored in their room and had gotten it all over the carpet, walls, her bed, the crib, the door, Ethan, and herself. It was a MESS. I grabbed her and brought her downstairs and dumped her in the tub. One sight of Grace and everyone else jumped into action and an hour later we had the mess reasonably cleaned up, or at least contained. I scrubbed the kids in the downstairs bathtub while the boys scrubbed the room and my Mother in Law attempted to scrub out the clothes and bedding. If you've never tried to get gesso paint out of your children's hair then you're lucky. It's a good thing Grace is cute because she's getting close to not being invited back to Opa and Oma's house!


The naughty artist painted herself all over

Poor Ethan had his hands, feet, face, and hair painted

Quick clean up picture, notice how much white paint is on the crib!

Paint on the wall

By the way, my new shirt, Grace's pajamas, and David's shorts were saved by my mother in law's laundry efforts. Ethan's pajamas and the crib quilt were not so lucky. They are still usable but not exactly in good condition! The carpet and crib still have some work needed...

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Hmmm... wow! Not sure what else to say... wow just about covers it!

Natalie Whisler said...

Ohhhhhhh.

You know, with as many art supplies as we have in our home I've always feared that exact scene. You have to chuckle looking at pictures like those, but I know better than to laugh too hard. Next time it might be my kid!

Poor, poor Ethan. That photo might provide him a lot of leverage in the future.

Thankfully, you have loving and understanding in laws.

Miranda said...

oh my gosh!!!! Wow... I hope that everything can get cleaned up a bit more!! And I thought the blue marker was bad :S

Aly sun said...

Ahhh! Those moments really stretch you as a parent. I've had similar, although not as hard to repair/clean, situations. Just flour and water. And bananas. And there was the milk incident. And diaper rash cream. And markers in bed. These go down in history and it may even make you smile.... a long long time from now.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got pictures!!! The biggest thing is noone got hurt. Everything else IS replaceable. The memory is priceless....sounds like a commercial (VISA, Mastercard?).