Monday, July 7, 2008

Another Round of Potty Training Commences

That's right, yet another round of potty training is happening in our house this week. Last night when we made a family trip to Walmart I picked up a package of vinyl training pants so that we can keep our potty training efforts going even when we leave the house. We told Grace that since she's a big girl now she doesn't need to wear diapers during the day and it's time to wear training pants all the time. She happily agreed and immediately wanted to put her Little Mermaid underwear on and watch her Elmo Potty Video. Score 1 for Mommy. She wore her underwear for about an hour last night before bedtime without an incident and she wore a diaper to bed. One step at a time!

This morning when she woke up I brought her immediately to the potty but she didn't have to go. She was happy to put on her training pants and I asked a few times if she needed to go potty throughout the morning to no avail. I was busy nursing Ethan on the couch when Grace came streaking into the living room exclaiming "I peed in the potty!" with a mile wide grin on her face. I asked her if she's sure she peed IN the potty and not in her underwear, and she was emphatic that she did indeed pee in the potty. So I went with her to the bathroom and checked her training pants on the floor...dry! She had indeed peed in the potty all by herself. Once I confimed her success she immediately asked for the Dora sticker and picked out a Minnie and Mickey Mouse sticker for her Potty Sticker Chart as well. Then we did a happy dance!

We even left to go to the Post Office and run a few errands today with her in her training pants and the vinyl cover. She announced to the entire Post Office that she peed in the potty and proceeded to lift her dress to show off her underwear. We're still working on that whole "ladies don't lift their dress in public places" thing but at least she's excited about Potty Training. Let's hope she keeps it up!

1 comments:

Aly sun said...

Oh so hard! Potty training is really challenging. Good job and keep up the good work (both of you!).

What really worked for my daughter was a negative consequence (I got this idea from Jill VanWell). Any time Emma had an accident, I would wash her off in the bath with cool water. I told her that we had to get clean if she peed in her underwear, so it was cold water, no warm bath. I was always calm and she didn't cry, just accepted her fate. It took less than 3 days for the accidents to completely stop -- this was after 6 months of trying and failing to potty train her. I wished I had asked Jill for advice sooner!