Thursday, July 24, 2008

Refrigerator Malfunction

So we got home last night a little after 10pm and I pretty much did the bare minimum I had to do before I was able to crawl into bed at 11pm. Hey it was a long day and the suitcases could wait. This morning I was greeted at 8am by Grace at my side of the bed, a relatively new phenomenon since she has just learned how to operate door knobs in the last week. Not a skill I was hoping she'd learn anytime soon, but I digress. We ate bagels for breakfast since I knew the fridge was empty after being gone for a week and we worked on putting stuff away and playing with all of Grace's toys that she missed during the week we were gone. Especially the dress up clothes, she was sooooo happy to see them again! By lunchtime everyone was hungry and I remembered that there was some yogurt in the fridge that was still good and I went to get it and noticed that the yogurt was liquid. I went back to the fridge and realized that it wasn't cold inside, in fact it was room temp. Uh oh. So I did a quick scan and noticed that all the perishable items weren't looking so good so I did a fridge clean out and was grateful that it was relatively empty and that I hadn't made it to the grocery store that morning like I had hoped. The worst of it was throwing out a brand new package of hot dogs and almost new non-dairy creamer which wasn't too bad. The two bottles of salad dressing were nearly empty, the mayonaisse was half empty, two almost empty yogurt containers for the kids, one regular yogurt, a small amount of hummus that was probably bad anyways, and an expired container of sour cream. Could have been much worse. The freezer is still working which is a good thing, since that would have been way more expensive!

We bought our refrigerator in April 2006 when we moved into our new house and the exact same thing happened that November. I lost a lot more food that time since the fridge was full. Of course it was under warranty that time and won't be this time. I'm still pretty peeved that a two year old fridge has broken down twice and will be going to Kelly's Home Center where we purchased it tomorrow. I called around a couple of places to have it looked at this afternoon and everyone told me I'd have to wait for a service technition until Tuesday which I didn't think was acceptable. Finally found a company in Monmouth that can come out tomorrow afternoon. This whole fridge debacle is giving me a huge headache and I think that the store we bought it from is going to need to do something to make this right. Any fridge that breaks twice in two years is not a good product and I don't want to be throwing away an entire fridge full of food every year either. I hate making a scene but this just isn't acceptable in my book.

0 comments: