Tuesday, July 15, 2008

We're moving up in the world



I've been meaning to blog about our new tv stand for awhile now and haven't had the time (hello...60+ ebay auctions take a long time to do!) but I figured I better do it before we leave for Idaho. Our big screen tv (David's first purchase once we moved to the new house!) was the kind that took a bulb and the bulb broke while Grace and I were watching Cinderella a few months ago. When I called on the warranty we were told it would take a month or two for the bulb to get to us since it was on backorder. This was absolutely not acceptable for David so he called up Costco and canoodled the guy into accepting our tv for return. We barely squeeked through the unconditional return guarantee and wound up with a new (smaller!) big tv. The only problem was that the old tv came with a tv stand so we had to return it with the tv. The old tv stand was super ugly so I didn't think it was a big loss, but then we were stuck using a console table and upside down milk crates as a tv stand for awhile. Very high class.



We looked for an affordable basic wood tv stand in all the usual places: Fred Meyers, Target, Walmart, and Ikea. The wall the tv is on is really short and has a corner fireplace at one end which made the tv stand shopping difficult. We also wanted the wood to at least sort of match the other wood pieces in our living room. You know, create a cohesive non-poor-college-student kind of look. After striking out at Ikea we finally asked my Father in Law if he could help us out, and the wood working genius that he is created a beautiful tv stand for us! We even used the same wood stain on it as we did on our bookcases. What do you know, a room full of matching furniture is the result! It's really a sight to behold.

Sorry it's not decorated quite yet. Decorating with a crawling baby in the house that gets into absolutely everything is no easy feat. I'm having a hard time finding things that he can't hurt and can't hurt him to put in there.



If your living room doesn't have toys scattered all over it 99% of the time you must not have small children living with you. This is my life and what my living room usually looks like. In fact this looks pretty clean to me!

3 comments:

Aly sun said...

Your living room looks really clean to me. I understand. Competely.

You could find some baskets to fit the shelves and keep toys there (when they are put away someday -- really I understand). Then the baskets aren't off limits. That is what I finally did after getting tired of saying "no" and being ignored 5000 times a day.

The TV stand looks really nice. Nice work!

Andrea said...

ah, looks very nice!!!

Our living room looks the same as far as toys go...but your furnishings are much nicer... we still have the mish-mash-college look going on.

oh, i agree on the baskets idea!!!

Peters Family Farms said...

I'm impressed with 99% :)