Saturday, October 18, 2008

Apples, and Pumpkins, and Pie Oh My!


Today was a productive fall day. My Mom and brother came over and together with my husband we canned 39 quarts of applesauce. That's a lot of sauce. Since there wasn't enough room on the stove to process the jars in the canner while we were making the sauce we took a break in between making and processing to drive out to Airlie Hills Farm to bring Grace and Ethan to the pumpkin patch. It was definitely worth the drive, it was a beautiful pumpkin patch with lots of pretty pumpkins in all varieties to choose from. Ethan was mostly happy to discover that pumpkin patches involve a lot of dirt and funny shaped vegetables that roll like balls if you push hard enough. Grace loves pumpkins period and searched for the perfect pumpkin with the main criteria being that it was small enough for her to carry all by herself. After some fun in the hay and an attempt for pretty pumpkin pictures we headed home to finish up the applesauce. The last batch is currently in the canner and the kids are asleep. That means we're all four cashed out on the sofa listening to the jar lids "pop" and wondering who we're going to nominate to get up and serve up the apple pie. Mmmmmm. I love my Mom's cookie sheet apple pie.

This is what I get when I ask Grace to smile.

Grace giving me fries from the hay fort's take out window

Ethan in a pile of pumpkins

Grandma and Grace searching the patch for the perfect pumpkin

Grace found the perfect one!

And Ethan found a dirt clod!

1 comments:

Aly sun said...

That looks like fun at the pumpkin patch. I can't believe you did 39 quarts! Amazing.

My mother-in-law makes a cookie sheet apple pie too that is so yummy. I tried to make it once and couldn't get my crusts to stay together that large.

You should post the recipe and I will give it another try (my m-i-l doesn't use a recipe, so her directions were a little tough to follow).