Monday, October 13, 2008

Church Camp


It's been a long time since I've been to church camp...I'm thinking 12 years? Some things are not as great as I remembered them...like uncomfortable bunk beds. But most things were just as great as I remembered and I thoroughly enjoyed myself this weekend at Camp Magruder for our church's camp. There were several other families in attendance which made it a lot of fun for Grace since she had several kids to play with. The activities were planned to allow for everyone to get some quiet time, and I really appreciated that.

The Dads and other interested adults took the kids for a scavenger hunt/playground play time as well as for donkey rides while the women had a bible study. We reversed for the afternoon and the Moms took the kids for some fun on the beach in the afternoon.

Late Saturday afternoon David took Grace for her very first boat ride on a canoe and was very pleased that they both came back dry since he didn't have spare dry pants! Saturday evening we had a great campfire and s'mores which is my favorite part about camping. Grace spent a good chunk of her time at the cabin making bead necklaces. She made two pink and purple necklaces in one day!

We had a church service Sunday morning with an improvised alter that we decorated with items we found during our time at camp. Grace and David both brought shells for the alter and I brought a pretty blue flower I found. It was neat to see all the things people found and to hear what they represented/meant to the person who brought them to the alter. We took a last beach walk after loading up the car and then stopped at the Tillamook Cheese Factory to buy some cheese curds and have some lunch before driving home.

We hurriedly unpacked the car, changed Grace into nicer clothes, and drove down to Albany for our friends' son Spencer's 3rd birthday party. I'm glad we made it to the party since it was a lot of fun and the kids seemed to really enjoy themselves. It was a very busy and full weekend, but we made some really good memories and it was totally worth it.

0 comments: