Tuesday, October 28, 2008

PumpkinPalooza


We had an impromptu pumpkin carving party last night with my brother Brian and our friends James and Jessi which was a lot of fun! We usually get together on Monday evenings to watch Heroes but Brian came over early to work on carving pumpkins and we didn't finish until late at night. We take our pumpkin carving seriously around here!

Grace refused to put her hand in her pumpkin to clean it out because there were seeds inside. Uncle B did his best to persuade her but she wasn't interested in getting yucky. That meant I scraped out her little pumpkin and then we had a design discussion. I asked her what shapes she wanted her pumpkin's facial features to be and sketched out my suggestions and she picked out the ones she liked. She was pretty happy with the result and that's what counts!

Brian got crazy and did the hard skeleton design again. This year he upped the ante by freehanding a sickle and was very pleased with the results. David did a dwarf, I did Horton the friendly ghost (love him!), and I did the pirate ship for Ethan. James did Animal from the Muppets and Jessi did the Chesire Cat which both turned out excellent, though I forgot to get pictures of them.

So now our pumpkins are ready to be the hit of the neighborhood on Halloween!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pumpkins! I love Halloween. My daughter (16 yr old) is having a Halloween party and she and friends are making all of the food (like I did when the kids were little, spider crackers, ghost cookies, etc....). Kind of fun to watch it, instead of plan it.

Andrea said...

Awesome pumpkins! But my question is... how did you get the pics nice and HUGE for blogger? I've tried and any horizontal ones I post end up either getting shrunk down automatically, or they get cut off... GRR!

Cooking with Big E said...

I have no idea why the pictures are all of a sudden big, it just sort of happened!?!