Monday, October 27, 2008

Twelve Month Check Up


Ethan had his twelve month check up today and the poor guy was in bad shape! We've all had a cold for the past month and this weekend it got worse. I suspected he might have an ear infection when I noticed tiny scratches in his ear this morning and I was right. He also has his first diaper rash and a red bump over one eye from where Grace hit him with a toy this morning. Oh, and he's teething something awful. The poor baby is MISERABLE!

So to add to the fantastic ear infection news (hey, great timing on the ped appointment scheduled months ago to coincide with an ear infection!) I found out that Ethan is officially on the Malnourished babies weight chart. Great. After hearing about all the foods that Ethan eats our pediatrician recommended that we make sure that Ethan eats protein at every meal and to do our best to "stuff him like a turkey". Shouldn't be too hard since the boy likes to eat! He's just going to be cut off from the baby cereal and fruit in favor of more yogurt, sausage, cheese, and other full fat foods. She also suggested I work on weaning him which I don't think I agree with. I understand her concern that he might be drinking his calories rather then eating them, but I don't think that's the problem. He certainly doesn't turn down solid foods and most of his nursing these days is comfort related. We go back for a weight check in a month.

Here's the official stats:
18lbs 8 oz 0% weight (and actually 8oz bigger then Grace at the same age!)
30.25" long 55th %
46.25cm head circumfrence 45th %

All of his other developemental milestones are being met. The only thing he isn't really doing is talking but I know he understands what we're saying so there's not really a worry there. Grace wasn't an early talker either and now you can't make her be quiet. I think I'll be content to listen to the cute baby chatter and tune out Grace's potty talk. Those with recently potty trained children will totally understand.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is frustrating when your baby doesn't chart properly, but you know he is perfectly fine. Follow your instincts.You know what is going on with your baby. --Alysun