Monday, October 6, 2008

Happy First Birthday Ethan!

My little guy turns one years old this morning at 10:00am and I can hardly believe it. I can hardly believe it was just one year ago that I spent a hard morning in labor with no drugs before finally giving birth and feeling the exhilierating joy of not being in labor any more and having my son in my arms and not stuck somewhere on his exit route. Anyone who's given birth vaginally will know exactly what I mean by that.

David and I couldn't agree on a name for our son before he was born and so we agreed to wait until after he was born and see what felt right. Thankfully he was only nameless for an hour before we settled on Ethan Samuel, a name we both loved but hadn't considered before. It wasn't until later that day when we realized his initials are ESP!

Ethan was not the prettiest baby when he first came out. In fact he looked a lot like a little squished gnome that had been on the losing end of a fist fight. It didn't matter how funny he looked I fell in love with him right away. I remember having a few reservations about how I'd be able to love another child as much as my first before he was born. It's only natural to wonder, but after holding Ethan the first time I understood what other mothers meant when they say that your capacity to love expands so that there is more then enough love for each child.

This past year has brought so many changes as Ethan has grown but I am most struck by his happy and engaging personality. He always has a smile for me and can be described as a very happy little boy. He's also very cuddly and loves to express affection by giving sloppy wet kisses.

Here's what Ethan is up to at One Years Old:
*He wears 12-18 month tops and 6-12 month bottoms/overalls because he has short legs and long arms like a monkey
*Wears size 3 shoes
*Wears size 3 diapers

* Has two bottom teeth but looks like a few top ones will be pushing through any day now
* Walks 100% of the time and has been doing so for awhile
* Absolutely loves balls!
* Says "dada" and "mama" but mostly speaks baby gibberish

* Has had 3 hair cuts and will be getting a 4th pretty soon
* Falls asleep easily without nursing at night but doesn't usually sleep through the night
* Still loves to nurse

* Drinks from a regular sippy cup like a pro
* Loves to eat solid food, hasn't met too many foods he doesn't like!
* Fascinated by toilets and loves to open/close the toilet lid and drop toys in the toilet water

* Really seems to enjoy making music
* Loves to put things inside of things and take them back out again
* Always rolls over to sleep on his tummy in his crib
* Plays Peek a Boo every night after his bath when he's getting dried off with his ducky towel

* Thinks blowing rasperries is a fine art
* Has recently started showing signs of separation anxiety and doesn't like it if he can't see me at all times
* Takes a morning and afternoon nap most days, though sometimes he takes one long one in the middle of the day instead

Happy First Birthday Ethan! We love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your list. He is a special boy. The pictures are great too. It is interesting to read the milestones of your son and compare to my daughter who is just a bit older. Some are the same and others are very different -- like walking. She isn't interested in the least. -- Alysun

jackie goddard said...

happy birthday ethan!

Natalie Whisler said...

What a sweetie. I can't belive he is one. Can we slow down time before Juliana decides to turn one too?