Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ebay Summer Blitz

Yes it's that time of year again, prime time Spring and Summer Clothing Selling Season! You may think it's ridiculously early to think about buying sun dresses and swimsuits but you would be wrong. In the Ebay world the end of January is the best time to sell. Probably because by now everyone is sick and tired of wearing sweaters and corduroy and are dreaming of lightweight cotton and short sleeves. Or maybe that's just me.

To get to the point, I just listed 64 auctions to sell off the majority of Grace and Ethan's summer wardrobe from last year. I'm in denial that I live somewhere that doesn't allow us to wear cute summer things year round and always overbuy for summer. What can I say, I just can't resist a cute sun dress. My goal this year is to not overbuy for summer and to remember that we only need a few things to last us for the 3 months of warm weather we get. Fortunately or unfortunately, both kids will fit into some of their clothes from last year. Ethan has the tiniest waist for a boy ever and fits most of his 6-12 month shorts but not the shirts. Grace fits into a lot of her stuff but not as many dresses (too short). And of course they both outgrew their shoes.

Listing on Ebay is work but it will pay for the few spring/summer clothes they need and will also go towards picking up some stuff for next fall as things go on clearance. I always like to buy at end of season sales to get better deals and since my kids grow so slowly it's pretty easy to guess on sizes. If I'm wrong it's usually because I guessed too big and it fits the year after. Or if I guess too small I just sell it on Ebay with the rest of the outgrown goodies.

So Yay for being done with listing and now the fun begins...watching the bidding!

2 comments:

Aly sun said...

Good for you. You are a thrifty mom. I am really enjoying picking up winter clearance for next year for my girls. I hit a sale at JC Penny and got Emma a winter coat for $8, regularly $65. The only problem with buying early is that I am not 100% sure on what size they will be a year from now -- it is still fun.

Cooking with Big E said...

I love a bargain! I sweet talked David into swinging by the Hanna Andersson Outlet in Lake Oswego before heading to my Mom's house in Clackamas right before Christmas (in the snow even!) and scored a coat for Grace for this year and next for $8 that was also regularly priced at $70 something. I was pretty pumped, especially since Grace didn't have any coats warm enough for the icy weather we were having!