Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nothing like Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup


I've been told I make a pretty mean Chicken Noodle Soup and it's a recipe that I share often. I made it for dinner last night and thought I'd share it with you, my loyal blog readers. It's a cheap meal and can be made to stretch pretty far. I modified the original recipe when David and I were first married since we were dirt poor college students who liked to entertain. The original recipe included corn and stewed tomatoes and didn't have the carrots and celery which in my opinion was just wrong. After making a few changes I came up with this recipe which was probably the first thing I was good at making. I didn't cook before I was married and have learned a lot in the past 7 years, much to David's enjoyment I'm sure. Some of my earliest attempts were pretty awful!

Anyways, I snapped a picture of the ingredients (minus two frozen chicken breasts that were defrosting in the microwave) a la Pioneer Woman for your enjoyment. See, it doesn't take a lot of ingredients to make a big pot of soup!

Kellie's Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
8 cups of chicken broth (I prefer using the jar of soup base but you can use whatever)
1/2 chopped onion
2 carrots peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
4 cups egg noodles
2 bay leaves
2 cups chopped cooked chicken

Combine chicken broth, onion, carrots, celery, and spices and bring to a boil. Add egg noodles and simmer for 20 minutes. Add chicken and warm through.

That's it. The recipe makes enough for about four people. You can make it stretch further by adding more broth and noodles or veggies. You can feed half a dozen hungry college aged guys by doubling this recipe and using only 3 frozen chicken breasts. I know because I've done it many times.

And while I waited during the 20 minutes of simmering I snapped some cute pictures of Ethan climbing on Grace's booster chair. I think we'll be looking for another booster chair soon which I'll be excited about since the high chair takes up so much room!

2 comments:

jackie goddard said...

i can attest to the deliciousness of this meal! it was awesome on new years day! i am definitely going to use it after my long weekend in boise

Aly sun said...

I use the same chicken boulion base and like it better that canned broth. It tastes more authentic. Now I'm hungry for soup. Thanks for the inspiration.