Monday, January 5, 2009

Kellie's watched too much HGTV

Over the last two weeks I've been able to watch an abundance of HGTV which is one of my favorite channels. I love to watch the remodeling shows and think about what I'd love to do in our home. I've had a few ideas percolating for awhile now and I'm feeling pretty good about them and want to get them started this spring. Most of my ideas are fairly inexpensive and will make our home a nicer place to be.

Idea #1 is to work on the main bathroom. I'd like to remove the big mirror and replace it with a smaller framed one. I also have a lovely watercolor done by Grace that I want to have framed to go on the wall in there. I would LOVE to take down the ugly white over the toilet storage thingy we've had since we lived in Idaho. It's truly ugly and while David thinks it's necessary I know it's really not. And I'd like to paint. That's the part that David is having a hard time dealing with, but he'll come around eventually.

Current view of the main bathroom from the hallway:


Idea #2 is to install shelving in the nook next to the closet in Grace and Ethan's room. Right now it houses a falling apart dresser which we've been meaning to replace. Shelves would make even more sense as they would give us more storage space for things other then clothes. I could just get baskets to fold up their underwear, pajamas, and socks in. I think David is capable of doing the handiwork to install shelves here, though we talked about putting cabinet doors on the bottoms which I think is beyond our skill level.

Here's a picture of the nook, isn't the dresser lovely?


Idea #3 is to replace the current console table behind the couch with a shelving unit for toy storage. We have toys coming out our ears around here and the small basket in the living room isn't cutting it anymore. The piles are mounting and David's inner clean freak is screaming. I'm not particularly attached to the current console table anyways. We got it from our friend Jon who moved out of student housing the same time we did. That was just after we got a "new" chair from the dumpster next to our apartment complex which shows you how discriminating we were at the time.

Here's the current console table:


And the cubby unit we're envisioning:


All I need to do now is get David fully on board and sweet talk my excellent father in law (Are you reading this? I sure hope so!) into helping us out a little bit. If you remember our fruitless search for The Perfect TV Stand you'll know that he's very capable of building beautiful furniture. We have several Dennis Parry originals which I'm proud to own. Mostly I just need to get myself in gear and find all the supplies and keep the kids out of David's way to let him swear at the wall while he makes his wife the happiest woman ever.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ooooh, I love all your ideas. The shelving in their bedroom would be so nice and cute, too. Be sure and post after pictures! Good luck!

Aly sun said...

The process is hard, but it sounds like you have a great plan. Can't wait for the after pictures. I too am a HGTV junky when it is available. For some odd reason the projects are so much easier in my head. I hear ya!