Friday, May 1, 2009

Solution for Pilling Sweaters

I scored this cute gray sweater cardigan at the MOPS Swap this year and was thrilled to find it. We keep the thermostat at 65 during the cold months so a sweater is necessary for me to wear in the house because I'm always cold otherwise. My previous sweater cardigan was off white and not particularly attractive so the cute new gray sweater was a huge improvement. Of course it had quite a bit of pilling which is probably why it was included in the MOPS Swap. I didn't mind the pilling so much so I snagged it.

I'd heard about sweater shavers and have never seen one in stores but found one at Fred Meyers in Salem last month. I bought it but didn't get around to trying it out until yesterday when I decided I should try to de-fuzz my sweater. It took me almost an hour and I haven't quite finished, but it definitely looks better! I'll have to go through the closets and try out this miracle worker on a few more sweaters. Think of the savings! Instead of giving away pilly sweaters you can just shave the pills off to make your previously worn sweater look new! I highly recommend it.

Here's my lovely gray sweater before I went to work. Notice all the pills.

After some work the ribbed knit looked pretty good!

And here's a comparison to show the difference. The left side has not been touched and the right side has been "shaved". Do you see the difference?

2 comments:

Aly sun said...

Nice work! That was my sweater, so it is fun to read the post. I had a Cinderella moment, I must confess. You know the part when the step-sisters realize that Cinderella made their unwanted items looks stylish! It looks great shaved. I am so impressed. I bough it at Ross a few years ago for around $10, so it was definitely a bargain. Happy sweater shaving (and I will be trying this technique before I give the next pilly sweater away).

Melanie said...

I read Alysun's blog, and I saw your blog title and I wondered if you had a magic cure. I've tried those shavers before, and they never seemed to work for me. What brand is the one you're using?

Someone told me once to use a straight blade razor, but I didn't think that really worked either.